Chewy Molasses Cookies
- 1/4 c molasses (we use Grandma's Original)
- 3/4 c butter, soft
- 1 c sugar, plus ~1/2 c or so for rolling the dough in at the end
- 1 egg
- 2 c flour
- 1/2 tspn each of cloves, ginger, and salt
- 1 1/2 tspn cinnamon
- 2 tspn baking soda
1. Cream the sugar, butter, molasses, and egg together in a mixer.
2. Combine all of the remaining dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
3. Slowly add the flour mixture and mix until well combined.
4. The next step is to make little balls of the dough and roll them in sugar. Sometimes we refrigerate the dough first if it's really hot out or if the dough is too soft to roll in your hands. I'm personally okay with the dough not being in perfectly rounded balls, so I just get a spoon and make a ball-ish shape and drop it in the the bowl of sugar. The cookies still come out round and my hands don't get all gooey. : )
5. Place sugar-rolled balls of dough on cookie sheet.
6. Bake at 350 F for 6-8 minutes, or until they start to crack on top.
If you like a crunchier cookie, just cook longer.
Enjoy. Happy (almost) Fall!