September 25, 2011

Best Ever Popovers



Look delicious, right? Or maybe like some weird kind of cupcake, but I assure you popovers are worth a try. They have been a Sunday morning favorite since I was a kid. They have this fun little hole in the top that sort of makes them like a cup, so you can load them up with all kinds of goodies and chow down. Easy to make, simple ingredients, a total comfort food, and kids love them.

Best Ever Popovers
-3 eggs
-3/4 c flour
-1 c milk
-1 tbsp sugar
-1/2 tsp salt
-1 tbsp melted butter

Preheat oven to 425, preheat pan in oven for a couple of minutes. Combine all ingredients and beat together until just mixed (it may still be a little lumpy.) Spray hot pan with Pam and return to oven to heat another  minute. Pour batter evenly into cups (about 1/2 full to start and then even off). Bake for 15 min at 425, then reduce to 350 and bake for 15 more minutes.

We usually eat them as a breakfast food, but they are similar to Yorkshire pudding so they could be used as a dinner roll type of thing. Delicious with butter, jam, fresh fruit, or powdered sugar. For serious popover eaters they make special pans like in the picture, but you could even cook these in a smaller oven safe bowl (what we call "dutch babies") or maybe try a cupcake pan. 

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever had German pancakes? These are almost the same ingredients! I am going to try this because I love German pancakes, and these smaller portions might stop me from eating half the pan :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not had German pancakes, but I just looked them up and I think that's the same thing as what I called a Dutch baby, where you just pour all the batter into one big bowl. I'm totally with you on the portion control business, little cupcake versions help for sure :) Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete